Registering under Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition

If you are registered to practise in Australia, you can register and practise in the same profession in New Zealand.

The Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 (TTMR) recognises Australian and New Zealand registration standards as equal. This allows registered oral health practitioners the freedom to work in either country

Application process for registering under TTMR

You can apply for registration under TTMR using our online services. Start your application by working through the online assessment tool to direct you to the correct form for your application.

You will need to submit all the supporting documents detailed in the application form and pay the relevant fee

Refer to our guide for supporting documents you may need to submit.

We have one month from the date we receive your registration application, to formally grant, postpone or refuse registration. You are deemed to be registered, and may practise your profession in New Zealand, subject to any conditions or restrictions on your Australian registration, from the date your complete application is received by us.  Deemed registration occurs automatically and continues until it is cancelled, suspended or terminated under TTMR.

We may impose similar conditions or restrictions on your registration to any that already apply to your Australian registration, or where it is necessary to achieve equivalence.

We may postpone our decision whether or not to grant you registration for up to six months.  If we do so, you have deemed registration and may practise your profession in New Zealand until we make a final decision.

We may refuse to grant you registration if:

  • statements or information in your application are materially false or misleading; or
  • documents or information we require have not been provided or are materially false or misleading.

If your application is postponed or refused, or if conditions are imposed, or your scope of practice restricted, we will write and give the reasons for our decision, and we will advise you of your right to appeal to the Trans-Tasman Occupations Tribunal.

If your application is refused, your APC fee will be refunded.

Getting your documents certified

We need certified copies of most of your supporting documents.

Refer to our guide for certifying your documents and verifying your identity.

Getting your documents translated

If any documents are not in English, you must submit an official English translation with a certified copy of your original document.