Resources for preparing for the examination
The following references are available at the Auckland University of Technology (AUT) North Shore Campus Library - they are available for reference only (you cannot borrow them). You will be granted access to these texts during opening hours.
If you are not located in Auckland, you can contact your local hospital about access to the dental books held in their medical library.
In addition, you can check if your local library can access books through interloan. For more information about interloan refer to https://library.aut.ac.nz/how-to-library/get-items-from-other-libraries. You can also contact the interloans team through email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (09) 921 9999 ext 8662.
It is your responsibility to make any arrangements regarding the borrowing and return of books.
If you are located overseas and do not have access to these libraries, you may be able to find these resources online or at your local libraries.
North Shore Campus Library
90 Akoranga Drive
North Shore City 6027
Tel: 09 921 9999 ext 7701
Monday to Friday 8am - 10pm
Saturday & Sunday 10am - 6pm
- Albadri S. & Stevens C. L. (2021). Paediatric dentistry for the general dental practitioner. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-66372-8
- Bowen D. M. Pieren J. A. & Darby M. L. (2019). Darby and walsh dental hygiene: theory and practice (Fifth). Elsevier.
- Cameron A. C. & Widmer R. P. (2013). Handbook of pediatric dentistry (4th ed.). Mosby.
- Caton J. G., Armitage G., Berglundh T., Chapple I. L. C., Jepsen S., Kornman K. S., Mealey B. L., Papapanou P. N., Sanz M., & Tonetti M. S. (2018). A new classification scheme for periodontal and peri‐implant diseases and conditions – Introduction and key changes from the 1999 classification. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 45(S20), S1–S8. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpe.12935
- Daniel S. J. Harfst S. A. & Wilder R. S. (2008). Mosby's dental hygiene: concepts cases and competencies (2nd ed.). Mosby/ Elsevier.
- Dean, J. A., Jones, J. E., Vinson, L. A. W., Sanders, B. J., Yepes, J. F., Scully, A. C., & Jones, J. E. (James E. (2022). McDonald and Avery’s dentistry for the child and adolescent (J. A. (Jeffrey A. Dean, L. A. W. Vinson, B. J. Sanders, & J. F. Yepes, Eds.; Eleventh edition). Elsevier.
- Fehrenbach M. J. & Herring S. W. (2017). Illustrated anatomy of the head and neck (5th ed.). Elsevier.
- Gehrig J. S. Sroda R. & Saccuzzo D. (2020). Fundamentals of periodontal instrumentation and advanced root instrumentation enhanced (8th ed.).
- Jones & Bartlett Hilton T. J. Ferracane J. L. & Broome J. C. (2013). Summitt's fundamentals of operative dentistry: a contemporary approach (Fourth). Quintessence Publishing Co.
- Ibsen O. A. C. & Peters S. M. (2023). Oral pathology for the dental hygienist: with general pathology introductions (8th ed.). Elsevier.
- Learning LLC. Ritter, A. V., Boushell, L. W., & Walter, R. (2019). Sturdevant’s art and science of operative dentistry (7th ed.). Elsevier.
- Lindhe J. Lang N. P. Berglundh T. Giannobile W. V. & Sanz M. (2015). Clinical periodontology and implant dentistry (Sixth). Wiley Blackwell.
- Newman M. G. Takei H. H. Klokkevold P. R. & Carranza F. A. (2019). Newman and Carranza's clinical periodontology (Thirteenth). Elsevier.
- Torres C. R. G. (2020). Modern operative dentistry: principles for clinical practice. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-31772-0
- Samaranayake L. P. (2018). Essential microbiology for dentistry (Fifth). Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.
- Welbury R. Duggal M. S. & Hosey Marie Thérèse. (2018). Paediatric dentistry (Fifth). Oxford University Press.
- Wilkins E. M. Wyche C. J. & Boyd L. D. (2017). Clinical practice of the dental hygienist (Twelfth). Wolters Kluwer.
- Malamed, S. F. (2012). Handbook of Local Anesthesia (6th ed.). Elsevier Health Sciences.
The oral health therapy scope of practice
Standards Framework for Oral Health Practitioners