Registering with a prescribed qualification

Registering as a clinical dental technician with a prescribed qualification

New graduates from the University of Otago

New graduates who obtained their qualification from the University of Otago can be registered with the Dental Council within 12 months of graduation. 

You can apply for registration directly from our New graduates page. 

Please be aware, in order to be registered as a clinical dental technician, you must first hold registration as a dental technician.

Registering as a dental technician 

New Zealand prescribed qualification holders 

If you did not apply for registration within 12 months of graduating from Otago  university, you can start your registration application by working through the online assessment tool to direct you to the correct form. 

Your application will be considered on its merits by the Council at its next meeting.  You will also be required to submit with your registration application: 

  • details of activities you have undertaken to update and enhance professional skills, including details of whether you have taken part in continuing professional development
  • a detailed history of employment, including places and dates of employment, responsibilities, and working hours per week
  • details of any practice in an equivalent scope of practice overseas (if applicable).

If you are currently registered in Australia as a dental prosthetist and want to register in New Zealand as a clinical dental technician, you can apply under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.  Start your registration application by working through the online assessment tool to direct you to the correct form.


When you apply for registration, we will ask you about your practising intentions – that is, whether you intend to: 

  • practise in New Zealand and apply for an annual practising certificate (APC)
  • not practise immediately but want your name retained on the register.

You will be asked to pay your registration fee at the time you complete your application for registration. If your registration application is successful and you don't already have an APC with us, we will email you with an invoice to pay for your annual practising or non-practising fees.

Please note you can only lawfully practise in New Zealand if you hold a current APC.

If we do not receive valid documents to complete your application, it will be withdrawn and an administration fee may be deducted. You will then need to resubmit your application.