We are receiving several queries regarding mandatory vaccination.
The government announced that it is extending mandatory vaccination to workers in the health & disability sector, including oral health practitioners. The timeframes for mandatory vaccination for the sector are:
- receive the first dose by 30 October 2021,
- be fully vaccinated by 1 December 2021.
The COVID-19 Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order 2021 has been made by the Minister for COVID-19 Response under the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act 2020.
Please note that an updated order reflecting the extension to workers in the health & disability and educations sectors is expected to be published later this week which will provide further details.
The purpose of the order is to prevent, and limit the risk of, the outbreak or spread of COVID-19 by requiring certain work to be carried out by persons who are vaccinated.
It places obligations on both the worker (the practitioner) and a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) under the Health & Safety at Work Act.
The order places an express obligation on:
- an oral health practitioner and patient facing support staff to be vaccinated (s7).
- a relevant PCBU:
- to not allow a health and disability worker to carry out certain work unless satisfied that the worker is vaccinated. (s8)
- to hold vaccination records. (s10).
Complying with the order is a responsibility of a worker and a business.
Queries about this order or implications for your business should be directed to the Ministry of Health or the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Andrew Gray (Chair) & Marie Warner (CE)