International Society of Dental Regulators
Dental Council has been instrumental in the establishment of a new global membership organisation established in early 2014 - the International Society of Dental Regulators (ISDR). Membership consists of dental regulators, and dental examination and accreditation bodies.
The ISDR supports the purposes of dental regulation through scientific, educational and collaborative activities, and encourages best practices among dental regulatory authorities worldwide in the achievement of their mandate of protecting, promoting, and maintaining the health and safety of the public by ensuring proper standards for the dental professions.
The ISDR primary objectives are:
- to support dental regulatory authorities worldwide in protecting the public interest by promoting high standards for dental education, licensure, registration, regulation, and professional conduct and facilitating the ongoing exchange of information among dental regulatory authorities
- to advocate and promote high standards of dental education, dental practitioner evaluation and assessment, licensure, regulation, dental practice, and professional conduct
- to facilitate international cooperation and collaboration among dental regulatory authorities, including establishing a network for the regular exchange of dental licensing, registration, regulatory, and disciplinary information
- to provide a forum for the development and sharing of new concepts and new approaches in the regulation of dental practice
- to encourage and support research, policy analysis, and policy development related to dental licensure, registration and regulation
- to serve as an information source for dental regulatory authorities, the public, and national and international organisations.
The ISDR had its inaugural conference in October 2013.
Dental Council Chief Executive, Marie Warner is Chair of the ISDR. The secretariat services for ISDR is run by Irwin Fefergrad of Ontario.
The ISDR founding members, as at October 2016, are:
Dental Council New Zealand
The Royal College of Dentists of Canada
Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
Dental Board of Australia
Dubai Health Authority
Dental Council Ireland
Ordre National des Chirurgiens
Examination and accreditation bodies
The National Dental Examining Board of Canada
Korean Institute of Dental Education and Evaluation
Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada
Australian Dental Council
Other international regulators not listed above
General Dental Council
Health Professions Council of South Africa
Accreditation bodies not listed above
Commission on Dental Accreditation